Osteoporosis Screening in Boston
|Osteoporosis is a preventable disease.
Our Boston clinic provides screening to help detect osteoporosis before a fracture occurs, predict chances of a future fracture, and determine rate of bone loss or monitor treatment.
Who needs the osteoporosis test?
- State-of-the-art bone densitometry (BMD testing)
- Follow-up services, including additional BMD tests, to determine the effectiveness of treatment and monitor rate of bone loss
- Referrals for physical therapy
All women over the age of 65 should have a baseline BMD, which should be repeated every other year (annually if a woman is being treated for osteoporosis). BMD testing is recommended for:
- women with one or more risk factors for osteoporosis
- postmenopausal women who present with a fracture
- women considering therapy for osteoporosis, if testing would facilitate the decision
- women who have been on hormone therapy
- men and women with fractures or hyperparathyroidism
- men and women who take corticosteroids
|Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tufts Health Plan
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield
A doctor's referral is required for clinic services.
Outpatient Referral Reference Sheet
To schedule an appointment call 617-363-8539.