There are many adjustments to make when moving to a new home or experiencing a change in your ability to do your daily activities.
You may find that a home safety evaluation would help ensure that your environment is comfortable, secure and safe for you. Hebrew SeniorLife’s physical or occupational therapists are trained to recognize environmental hazards that can impact your health and independence. We focus on providing care and support that can help you recover after an illness, adjust to a new environment, and reach goals for wellness and independence.
A home safety evaluation can:
- identify hazards that could cause you to trip and fall (carpets over carpets, throw rugs, electrical cords, etc.);
- discover ways to improve lighting, which will help you navigate more easily and safely in your new home;
- identify locations where using reacher/grabber tools can help you avoid bending over or standing on a stool,
- suggest ways you can reduce fire hazards in the kitchen.
- ensure your personal care environment is safe by making sure the toilet seat height is adjusted properly for you and a grab bar in installed.
- check and make sure you have enough grab bars to safely get in and out of the shower.
- These are just some of the benefits of a home safety evaluation. Any recommended adaptation is intended to make sure your environment is set up to meet your individual needs.
- A referral for a home safety evaluation is required from your physician and is covered by most insurances as part of your outpatient therapy benefit.
For more information and to schedule an appointment call 617-363-8539.