Wellness Programs for Seniors
Extensive research has shown that a regular exercise program for seniors improves overall conditioning and helps prevent chronic diseases. In fact, physical exercise benefits seniors more than any other group, helping to promote sleep, strength, cardiovascular health, and an enhanced sense of well-being.
Hebrew SeniorLife has been a longtime champion of exercise for older adults. In the early 1990s, researchers at our Institute for Aging Research discovered the benefits of weight training for even the oldest seniors. Our residents took part in an institute study that examined whether progressive weight training could combat or reverse muscle weakness experienced by adults as they age. The study proved that even the "oldest old" could build muscle strength with exercise, significantly counteracting functional decline and thereby reducing the risk for falls.
Fitness Virtual Tour
The NewBridge Fitness Center features the latest equipment, an aerobics studio and swimming pool. Trainers can help residents set up the perfect exercise plan.
Following the study, exercise programs were developed and offered at the Hebrew Rehabilitation Center, and today - as part of our continuum of care - our campuses offer a broad range of exercise and wellness programs. This includes an indoor lap pool, tennis court, and walking on trails near the Charles River, as well as:
- Tai Chi
- Aqua aerobics
- Aerobic classes
- Strength training classes
The wellness and exercise professionals at NewBridge on the Charles work to:
- Help seniors maintain and/or increase their independence
- Help seniors improve their overall quality of life
- Provide a variety of opportunities and environments for seniors to socialize
- Help residents feel a sense of connection and community with their neighbors
- Provide individualized exercise programming
- Offer comprehensive physical evaluations by experienced exercise professionals
- Offer progressive strength, balance, flexibility, and cardiovascular training
A comprehensive wellness and exercise program is vital for healthy aging and fitness. Whether you are generally healthy or are coping with a disability or health problem, our wellness program at NewBridge is committed to helping you stay healthier, more active, and more confident in your abilities to enjoy life to the fullest.