John N. Morris, Ph.D.
Director of Social and Health Policy Research
Alfred A. and Gilda Slifka Chair in Social Gerontological Research
Institute for Aging Research
1200 Centre Street
Boston, MA 02131
||Boston University, Boston, MA
||Brandeis University (Heller School), Waltham, MA
||Brandeis University (Heller School), Waltham, MA
Research Interests and Teaching Activities
Among his primary research interests are issues relating to comprehensive assessment developing quality indicators, long term care, functioning, cognition, and clinical conditions. With collaborators in interRAI (a network of researchers in over 30 countries committed to improving health care for persons who are elderly, frail, or disabled) and HSL, he has developed Quality Indicators for use in long term care, post acute care, and home care. Dr. Morris was the Task Leader for the federally mandated CMS project to develop the nursing home MDS and Resident Assessment Protocols. He was also the Principal Investigator in the development of the MDS Version 2.0. In interRAI he has co-authored the RAI-HC system for evaluating the needs, strengths, and preferences of elderly clients of home care agencies, as well as the RAI system for post-acute care. He is an interRAI Board Member and serves as chairman of the Instrumentation System Development Committee (ISD). With his ISD Committee members he has led the development of the interRAI Clinical Assessment Protocols (CAPs) for use in many settings, including home care, long term care, etc.
Quality indicators, long-term care, resident assessment, functioning, cognition, clinical conditions.
- Hirdes JP, Ljunggren G, Morris JN, Frijters DHM, Finne-Soveri H, Bjorkgren M, Gilgen R. Reliability of the interRAI suite of assessment instruments: A 12-country study of an integrated health information system. BMC Health Services Research 2008; 8:277 (30 Dec 2008). http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6963/8/277
- Gray LC, Bernabei R, Berg K, Finne-Soveri H, Fries BE, Hirdes JP, Jonsson PV, Morris JN, Steel K, Arino-Blasco S. Standardizing assessment of elderly people in acute care: The interRAI Acute Care Instrument. JAGS 2008; 1-6.
- Willis SL, Tennstedt SL, Marsiske M, Ball K, Elias J, Koepke KM, Morris JN, Rebok GW, Unverzagt FW, Stoddard AM, Wright E. Long-term effects of cognitive training on everyday functional outcomes in older adults. (Reprinted) JAMA 2006; 296(23):2805-2814.
- Hirdes JP, Dalby DM. Steel RK, Carpenter GI, Bernabei R, Morris JN, Fries BE. Predictors of influenza immunization among home care clients in Ontario. Canadian J Public Hlth July-Aug 2006; 97(4):335-339.
- Carpenter GI, Hastie CL, Morris JN, Fries BE, Ankri J. Measuring change in activities of daily living in nursing home residents with moderate to severe cognitive impairment. BMC Geriatrics 2006. MS: 1754684933837844 accepted for publication.
- Fries BE, Hawes C, Morris JN, Bernabei R (2006).Resident Assessment Instrument/Minimum Data Set, In Principals and Practice of Geriatric Medicine 4th Edition, 156:1856-1865. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Kuo HK, Jones RN, Milberg WP, Tennstedt SL, Talbot L, Morris JN, Lipsitz LA. Cognitive function in normal-weight, overweight, and obese older adults: An analysis of the advanced cognitive training for independent and vital elderly cohort. JAGS 2006; 54(1):97-103.
- Won A, Lapane KL, Vallow S, Schein J, Morris JN, Lipsitz LA. Long-term effects of analgesics in a population of elderly nursing home residents with persistent nonmalignant pain. J Geront Med Sciences 2006; 61A(2):165-169.
- Kuo HK, Jones RN, Milberg WP, Tennstedt S, Talbot L, Morris JN, Lipsitz LA. Effect of blood pressure and diabetes mellitus on cognitive and physical functions in older adults: A longitudinal analysis of the advanced cognitive training for independent and vital elderly cohort. JAGS 2005; 53(7):1154-1161.
- Murphy KM, Rabinowitz T, Nonemaker S, Morris JN, Morrison MH, Grigonis AM, Lee RH, Goldman BD. An Initiative to Improve Depression Recognition and Management in Long-Stay Nursing Home Residents. Clinical Gerontologist 28(3):95-109, 2005.
- Koehler M, Rabinowitz T, Hirdes JP, Stone M, Carpenter IG, Fries BE, Morris JN, Jones RN. Measuring depression in nursing home residents with the MDS and GDS: an observational psychometric study. BMC Geriatrics 2005, 5:1
- Fries BE, Morris JN, Aliaga P, Jones RN. Risk Adjusting Outcome Measures for Post-Acute Care.Am J of Medical Quality; Vol 18, No. 2, 66-72, Mar/Apr 2003.
- Vincent Mor, Katherine Berg, Joseph Angelelli, David Gifford, John Morris, Terry Moore. The Quality of Quality Measurement in U.S. Nursing Homes. The Gerontologist, Vol. 43, Special Issue II, 2003, 37-46.
- Jones RN, Morris JN, Marcantonio ER, Lipsitz LA. Satisfaction with Primary Care Providers of Older Adults Living in Senior Housing. JAGS, Letters to the Editor, Vol. 51, No. 4, April, 2003.
- JP Hirdes, E Perez, N Curtin-Telegdi, P Prendergast, JN Morris, N Ikegami, BE Fries, C Phillips, T Rabinowitz. Resident Assessment Instrument, Mental Health Version 2.0 for Adult Psychiatry. In RAI-MH© Training Manual and Resource Guide Version 2.0, Toronto: Ontario Joint Policy and Planning Committee, 2003.
- Hirdes JP, Smith TF, Rabinowitz T, Yamauchi K, Perez E, Telegdi NC, Prendergast P, Morris JN, Ikegami N, Phillips C, Fries BE. The Resident Assessment Instrument-Mental Health (RAI-MH: Inter-Rater Reliability and Convergent Validity. The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 29:4, November 2002.
- Bean J, Kiely DK, Leveille SG, Morris J. Associating the Onset of Motor Impairments with Disability Progression in Nursing Home Residents. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 2002;81:696-704.Fries Brant E., Shugarman Lisa R., Morris John N., Simon Samuel E., James Mary. A Screening System for Michigan's Home- and Community-Based Long-Term Care Programs.The Gerontologist 2002; 42(4):462-474.
- Berlowitz DR, Brandeis GH, Anderson JJ, Ash AS, Kader B, Morris JN, Moskowitz M. An Evaluation of a Risk-Adjustment Model for Pressure Development Using the Data Set. JAGS 2001, 49(7):872-876.
- Berlowitz DR, Brandeis GH, Morris JN, Ash AS, Anderson JJ, Kader B, Moskowitz JN. Deriving a Risk-Adjustment Model for Pressure Ulcer Development Using the Minimum Data Set. JAGS 2001; 49(7):866-871.
- Frijters D, Achterberg, Hirdes JP, Fries BE, Morris JN, Steel K. Geintegreerd Gezondheids-Informatiesysteem op basis van Resident Assessment Instrumenten. Tijdschr Gerontol Geriatr 2001; 32.
- Jobe J, Smith DM, Ball K, Tennstedt SL, Marsiske M, Willis SL, Rebok GW, Morris JN, Helmers K, Leveck MD, Kleinman K. ACTIVE: A Cognitive Intervention Trial to Promote Independence in Older Adults. Controlled Clinical Trials, 2001, 22:453-479.
- Morris JN, Carpenter I, Berg K, Jones RN. Outcome Measures for Use with Home Care Clients. Canadian Journal on Aging, LaRevue Canadienne Du Veillissment, Vol. 19 Supp 2:87-105, Fall 2002.
- Kiely DK, Morris JN, Algase DL. Resident Characteristics Associated With Wandering in Nursing Homes. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol. 15:1013-1020, 2000.
- Murphy K, Morris S, Kiely D, Morris JN, Belleville-Taylor P, Gwyther L. Family Involvement In Special Care Units. In: Research & Practice in Alzheimer's Disease, (RAPD), Special Care Units (eds. Douglas Holmes, Jeanne A. Teresi, Marcia Ory), Serdi Publishers (Paris), Springer Publishing Company (New York), Volume 4, 2000.
- Kiely DK, Mitchell SL, Marlow A, Murphy KM, Morris JN. Ethnic and Racial Differences in the Designation of Advance Directives in Nursing Home Residents: A Multistate Comparison Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, November 2001.
- Morris John N, Carpenter Iain, Berg Katherine, Jones Richard N. Outcome Measures for Use with Home Care Clients.Canadian Journal on Aging, La Revue Canadienne Du Veillissement. Vol 19, Suppl 2, pp 87-105, Fall, 2000.
- Kiely Dan, Simon Samuel E, Jones Richard N, Morris John N. The Protective Effect of Social Engagement on Mortality in Long-Term Care. Journal of American Geriatrics Society, 48:1367-1372, 2000.
- Morris John N, Fries Brant E, Morris Shirley A. Scaling ADL's Within the MDS. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 1999; 54A(10).
- Won Aida, Morris John N, Nonemaker Sue, Lipsitz Lewis A. A Foundation for Excellence in Long-Term Care: The Minimum Data Set. Annals of Long Term Care, 1999; 7(3):92-97.
- Morris John N, Fiatarone Maria, Kiely Dan K, Belleville-Taylor Pauline, Murphy Katharine, Littlehale Steven, Ooi Wee Lock, O'Neill Evelyn, Doyle Nancy. Nursing Rehabilitation and Exercise Strategies in the Nursing Home. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences, 1999; 54(10)M494-M500.
Berg K, Finne-Soveri H, Gray L, Henrard JC, Hirdes J, Ikegami N, Ljunggren G, Morris JN, Paquay L, Resnik L and Teare G. Relationship between interRAI HC and the ICF: opportunity for operationalizing the ICF. BMC Health Services Research 2009, 9:47 (17 Mar 2009)