You Can Make a Difference
At Hebrew SeniorLife we are committed to transforming the experience of aging for the seniors we serve. Our life-enhancing programs depend on volunteers and their generous donation of time; making real differences in older adults' lives.
We welcome all ages, backgrounds, and abilities, individually and in groups. We're happy to work with you to find the right fit for your interests, talents, and schedule.
Volunteers play a critical role in all our communities, whether it’s at our five senior living communities in Greater Boston or at Hebrew Rehabilitation Center, our Harvard Medical School-affiliated long-term chronic care hospital with locations in Boston and at NewBridge on the Charles in Dedham.
Volunteers work with older adults with all different levels of independence and needs, including active independent living residents and more frail patients in our long-term chronic care hospital. You’ll be provided with training and support from our team to make sure your experience is rewarding.
We can work creatively to match your skills and interests with the needs of our communities. Some of the roles our volunteers enjoy include:
- Providing face-to-face tech support, helping residents learn to use devices that keep them connected with friends and family
- Visiting one-on-one with patients - you can play games, do art projects, listen to music, walk outside, or just sit quietly together
- Providing support for the occupational and expressive therapy teams
- Lead or assist with small group activities, including music, art, reading stories aloud, and holiday celebrations
- Work individually with patients during mealtimes to assist with feeding
- Support resident services teams at senior living communities
- Virtual roles are available, such as preparing supplies for holiday celebrations or visiting with patients or residents via Zoom.
How to Start Volunteering
The best way to explore volunteer opportunities at Hebrew SeniorLife is by filling out an application. This doesn’t obligate you to volunteer, it just gives us a little more information about your interests so we can start the conversation and find the right opportunity for you. Once you’ve completed the online application, a member of our Volunteer, Youth, and Community Engagement team will be in touch with you.
Please note that volunteers are required to be vaccinated (including against the flu and COVID-19), and will undergo mandatory background checks.
Do you still have questions? We’d love to talk with you! Contact us today.